We believe in the power of girls. 4GGL loves this…
These groups promote equality, fight for fairness in wages, work to end child marriage, and put the education and equality of young women at the forefront of their missions:
Here’s how you can help:
- FIGHT AGAINST CHILD MARRIAGE: It’s estimated that 64 million girls around the world are forced into marriage before the age of 18—some as young as 7 or 8 years old. CARE’s Tipping Point program works to let girls grow up and be empowered to make their own life choices.
- SUPPORT EDUCATION FOR GIRLS: The Malala Fund, founded by Nobel Peace Prize winner Malala Yousafzai, works to ensure every girl gets 12 years of free, safe, quality education.
- HELP GIRLS GET EDUCATED, RESPECTED AND HEARD: Help young women become the first in their families to graduate from high school with She’s the First, which uses education, mentorship, and global leadership training to support girls determined to make a difference.
- TURN PERIODS INTO PATHWAYS: At least 500 million women and girls globally lack adequate facilities for menstrual hygiene management, making them more likely to miss school or drop out entirely. Help girls get the period care they need through Days For Girls.
- SHARE YOUR STRENGTHS: Become a mentor for a young girl through Big Brothers, Big Sisters.
- HELP IMPROVE ACCESS TO SAFE WATER & PROPER SANITATION: UNICEF reports that women and girls around the world spend 200 million hours every day collecting water. The opportunity cost of lack of access to clean water disproportionately falls on women and girls, cutting into time they could spend in school or doing other things. Help make clean water easier to access via The Water Project.
- HELP PUT AN END TO FEMALE GENITAL CUTTING: 3.9 million girls are at risk of undergoing female genital cutting. That tradition is being challenged by Orchid Project, which is working to end the risky practice.
- HELP FAMILIES AFFORD SCHOOL FOR GIRLS: School can be costly. Help fund a young girl’s education through Heifer International.
- HELP KEEP GIRLS FROM DROPPING OUT: Girls drop out of sports at twice the rate of boys by age 14. Play Like A Girl is on a mission to change that with sports and STEM programs around the world.
- HELP ADVANCE FEMALE RIGHTS: Equality Now uses the legal system to fight unjust and gender-biased laws. Since it was founded in 1992, it’s fought for voting rights for women in Kuwait, helped pass the first law prohibiting sex tourism, and generally fought for a world where girls can grow up free of discrimination and bias.
4GGL thanks Fast Company for this resource!