How do you raise a powerful girl and what does…
“You are mighty, because you mother.”
– Lisa-Jo Baker
Set partly in South Africa and partly in the US (with a slight detour to Ukraine along the way), Surprised by Motherhood is a poignant memoir of one woman’s dawning realization that:
Being a mom isn’t about being perfect―it’s about being present.
A lawyer with a well-stamped passport and a passion for human rights, Lisa-Jo Baker never wanted to be a mom.
And then she had kids.
Having lost her own mother to cancer as a teenager, Lisa-Jo felt lost on her journey to womanhood and wholly unprepared to raise children.
Surprised by Motherhood is Lisa-Jo’s story of becoming and being a mom, and in the process, discovering that all the “what to expect” and “how to” books in the world can never truly prepare you for the sheer exhilaration, joy, and terrifying love that accompanies motherhood.
Described as “rocket fuel for weary mamas,” the book is also available as an audio book.
When you give through AmazonSmile they donate 0.5% to 4GGL!
Top 10 reasons moms are saying you should read this book:
- Because you need something to read when you are locking yourself in the bathroom for some quiet time – Angie
- It’s a heart-to-heart from a friend who “gets it”- the hard, the hurt, and the heights of this mysterious messy miracle called motherhood. – Katie
- Because no matter how old you are or how old your kids are, it still feels pretty fantastic to have someone tell you that motherhood (and you) deserve a medal, a superhero cape, and likely, a chocolate sundae. – Rebekah
- Because it’s a reminder you’re doing holy work & also it’s OK to cry a bit when they get out of bed AGAIN. – Alia
- Because sometimes you need your friend to sit you down and tell you that what you’re doing right now – all of it – will build the love in our kids. – Andrea
- Because it’s better than fried chicken. – Kate
- Our mothering either comes from our own mom’s or in spite of them – Lisa-Jo’s journey is a beautiful combination of both. – Susan
- Because Lisa-Jo really gets it… she gets the whole loving your kids and at the same time wanting to throw yourself on the floor and throw a tantrum of your own. – Julie
- Because Mom’s need a guidebook, to go with their afternoon chocolate, while waiting in the school pick up line. – Kashoan
- Because in my crazy, try harder life, I need a reminder that I really don’t want this mothering thing to be over. – Lori