Big visions start with a small step. Not all of…
INTERNATIONAL WOMEN’S DAY, MARCH 8TH 2016
Read, share, and comment on Maker’s stories this Women’s History Month. Join the conversation for International Women’s Day with hashtag #IWD2016.
Makers is celebrating International Women’s Day, held annually on March 8, to reflect on the many achievements and continued challenges of women and girls everywhere. Even today, gender parity, women’s empowerment, and women’s human rights continue to face major obstacles in every corner of the globe.
Here are some stats from the UN Women initiative that will help you see the world’s most critical issues for girls and women:
- More than 1.3 billion women don’t have an account at a formal financial institution, including banks, cooperatives, credit unions, post offices, or microfinance institutions.
- Women prepare up to 90 percent of meals in households around the world, but women and girls may be the first to eat less.
- Everyday 800 women die from preventable pregnancy-related causes.
- Women account for more than 60 percent of the world’s illiterate.
- 1 in 3 women still experience physical or sexual violence mostly by an intimate partner.
CELEBRATE WITH MAKERS
The“MAKERS: Once And For All“ documentary reflects on the unfinished business of achieving gender equality worldwide and provides context on the Fourth World Conference on Women, held in Beijing in 1995 — a watershed event in the global struggle for women’s rights.
4GGL thanks Makers for this story!
MAKERS is a women’s leadership platform that highlights the stories of groundbreaking women today to create the leaders of tomorrow — it is the largest collection of women’s stories ever assembled. MAKERS encompasses broadcast documentaries, web and mobile-first video content, and live events. Today, MAKERS.com features over 3,000 videos and the stories of more than 300 women.