By Jenn Gidman, Newser Staff International Women's Day…
1. What is Women’s Empowerment?
– Just published! Voice & Choice: What Young Women Want presents the results from 4GGL’s Women’s Empowerment Global Survey. Discover what we heard, straight from the voices of adolescent girls and young women!
Empowering girls and women is powerful. Today, we know it is the key to economic growth, political stability, and social transformation. World leaders, experts and scholars alike are giving their voice to this critical endeavor.
“When women succeed, nations are more safe, secure and prosperous.” – Barack Obama, 44th US President
“Empowering women is key to building a future we want.”
– Amartya Sen, Nobel Prize Laureate in Economics
“There is no tool for development more effective than
the empowerment of women.”
– Kofi Annan, 7th UN Secretary General
So then, why isn’t this happening on a mass scale?
2. Are there more males or females in our world today?
The answer surprises most people!
Investing in girls has the greatest impact in building strong and stable communities, resilient and peaceful civil societies.
However to truly make progress, we must tackle one great hurdle – the deep-seated mindset around the globe that does not value girls. Girls are seen and treated in many cultures as human “trash.” This is at the root of all girls’ sufferings – child marriage, slavery, sex trafficking, rape, weapon of war, and oppression by terrorists.